Zanna van Dijk is a personal trainer, wellness blogger, sustainability advocate and entrepreneur. She is the co-founder of Stay Wild Swim, an ethical and sustainable swimwear brand made of regenerated ocean plastic in the heart of London. Zanna is passionate about deepening individuals connection with the outdoors while also motivating them to get fitter, healthier and happier. For more about Zanna please go to – www.zannavandijk.co.uk/about/
Kilimanjaro (5896m) is not only Africa’s highest point, but it’s also the highest free-standing mountain in the world. Kilimanjaro is a huge crater known as Kibo over 2km wide with several distinct cones, the highest being Uhuru Peak. This 10-day itinerary includes seven days of walking on the Machame trail, the most scenic route to the summit. The Kilimanjaro climb incorporates seven days on the mountain which allows for great acclimatisation and maximises chances of a successful summit attempt. The route provides spectacular scenery and a wide variety of different landscapes. We start in scrublands thick with African wildlife and then move into lush forests followed by flowering alpine tundra. Above 4,500m the landscape changes to snow and rock as we approach the summit. This trek is suitable for people with a good level of fitness who enjoy a challenge. The sense of achievement after climbing Kilimanjaro and view from the roof of Africa makes all the hard work and effort well worth it!
About Zanna’s Kilimanjaro Climb
There are a number of added extra’s Zanna is doing on her climb. They are all optional, but we would love you to partake in them all.
- Training Day and Weekend: Zanna will be hosting two pre-departure training events. 1 day in January near Brighton and a weekend event in Snowdonia in May. You will also meet an expedition leader, expedition doctor and your fellow adventurers! On the training weekend an experienced expedition leader will be giving a full expedition brief, leading two training hikes and offering expert advice on all aspects of the expedition including training, equipment, weather etc. You will need to register for the events once you have booked your place via the Earth’s Edge booking portal. Training days are included within the price of the trip, food and accommodation required for the training events are not included.
- Sculpt Guide:To help you get started with your training, you will receive Zanna’s 12-week fitness programme, the Sculpt Guide. This will be a great start to develop your cardio-vascular fitness, in preparation for the big climb.
- Adventurers Facebook Group: Zanna would like to invite you to a closed group where you can meet each other, share pics, share advice, update on progress and get excited for your ultimate adventure to Kilimanjaro.
- Equipment for the Porters: We are asking you to bring any second hand clothing that you no longer need for the hard-working porters that will help us climb Kilimanjaro. For more information about the porters and the items we are trying to collect please request an information pack.
- Tree planting: We are planting three native trees on your behalf in December 2020 in an effort to reduce your carbon footprint. If you would like to plant more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Each extra tree costs £1.
- Mountain Cleanup: We are bringing three litter pickers on the mountain with us. While walking you will have the option to help us gather rubbish which we will dispose of responsibly after the climb.
- Vegan & Vegetarian food. Only vegetarian food will be served while climbing Kilimanjaro. Zanna is going to climb the mountain on an entirely vegan diet. You are welcome to do the same if you wish. When completing your medical declaration form on your Earth’s Edge account please declare any dietary requests.
When signing up for the adventure you agree to share your contact information with both Earth’s Edge and Zanna van Dijk so that you can be sent appropriate information about the trip and be invited to participate in the above activities.