Born in London and a true city girl in her 20s, it has only been in recent years that Nadia has discovered her passion for the outdoors and nature. Now, she’s making up for lost time!
Through her career as a travel writer, Nadia found herself trying new outdoor activities all over the world and as a total newbie started sharing her experiences in real time. With this came a relatability that her social media followers resonated with and now she’s ready to bring them along with her for the ride!
Nadia has enjoyed meeting like-minded people throughout her years of travelling. She cannot wait to bring a new group together for the experience of a lifetime.
Kilimanjaro (5896m) is not only Africa’s highest point, but it’s also the highest free-standing mountain in the world. Kilimanjaro is a huge crater known as Kibo over 2km wide with several distinct cones, the highest being Uhuru Peak. This 12-day itinerary includes seven days of walking on the Machame trail, the most scenic route to the summit. The Kilimanjaro climb incorporates seven days on the mountain which allows for great acclimatisation and maximises chances of a successful summit attempt. The route provides spectacular scenery and a wide variety of different landscapes. We start in scrublands thick with African wildlife and then move into lush forests followed by flowering alpine tundra. Above 4,500m the landscape changes to snow and rock as we approach the summit. This trek is suitable for people with a good level of fitness who enjoy a challenge. The sense of achievement after climbing Kilimanjaro and view from the roof of Africa makes all the hard work and effort well worth it!
About Nadia’s Kilimanjaro Climb
There are a number of added extra’s Nadia is doing on her climb. They are all optional, but we would love you to partake in them all.
- Training Days and Weekend: Nadia will be hosting five pre-departure training events! Four individual training days spread throughout 2021 on Slieve Donard, Lugnaquilla, Mweelrea and Carrauntohill and a weekend event in Glendalough in August. You will also meet an expedition leader, expedition doctor and your fellow adventurers! On the training weekend an experienced expedition leader will be giving a full expedition brief, leading two training hikes and offering expert advice on all aspects of the expedition including training, equipment, weather etc. You will need to register for the events once you have booked your place via the Earth’s Edge booking portal. Training days are included within the price of the trip, food and accommodation required for the training events are not included.
- Team Facebook Group: Nadia would like to invite you to a private group where you can meet each other, share pics, share advice and get excited about this trip of a lifetime.
- Equipment for the Porters: We are asking you to bring any second-hand clothing that you no longer need for the hard-working porters that will help us climb Kilimanjaro. For more information about the porters and the items we are trying to collect please request an information pack.
- Tree planting: We are planting three native trees on your behalf in December 2021 in an effort to reduce your carbon footprint. If you would like to plant more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Each extra tree costs €1.
- Mountain Cleanup: We are bringing three litter pickers on the mountain with us. While walking you will have the option to help us gather rubbish which we will dispose of responsibly after the climb.
When signing up for the adventure you agree to share your contact information with both Earth’s Edge and Nadia El Ferdaoussi so that you can be sent appropriate information about the trip and be invited to participate in the above activities.