Brian is a qualified personal trainer, sports nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach. He is the best selling author of the book The Fitness Mindset and currently travels the world as a professional speaker. He also hosts the #1 podcast The Brian Keane Podcast.
Brian is a former primary school teacher turned fitness entrepreneur. After retiring from the world of professional fitness modelling in 2015, he now does ultra-endurance events all around the world. In April 2018, he ran the famous Marathon Des Sables, which entails six self-sufficient back-to-back marathons through the Sahara Desert in Morocco. In February 2019, he ran 230km through the Arctic Circle in the northernmost tip of Sweden. He documents all his adventures on his social media channels. For more about Brian visit – www.briankeanefitness.com.
Kilimanjaro (5896m) is not only Africa’s highest point, but it’s also the highest free-standing mountain in the world. Kilimanjaro is a huge crater known as Kibo over 2km wide with several distinct cones, the highest being Uhuru Peak. This 12-day itinerary includes seven days of walking on the Machame trail, the most scenic route to the summit. The Kilimanjaro climb incorporates seven days on the mountain which allows for great acclimatisation and maximises chances of a successful summit attempt. The route provides spectacular scenery and a wide variety of different landscapes. We start in scrublands thick with African wildlife and then move into lush forests followed by flowering alpine tundra. Above 4,500m the landscape changes to snow and rock as we approach the summit. This trek is suitable for people with a good level of fitness who enjoy a challenge. The sense of achievement after climbing Kilimanjaro and view from the roof of Africa makes all the hard work and effort well worth it!
About Brian’s Kilimanjaro Climb
There are a number of added extra’s Brian is doing on his climb. They are all optional, but we would love you to partake in them all.
- Training Day and Weekend: Brian will be hosting two pre-departure training events. One day in Connemara and a weekend event in Wicklow. You will also meet an expedition leader, expedition doctor and your fellow adventurers! On the training weekend an experienced expedition leader will be giving a full expedition brief, leading two training hikes and offering expert advice on all aspects of the expedition including training, equipment, weather etc. You will need to register for the events once you have booked your place via the Earth’s Edge booking portal. Training days are included within the price of the trip, food and accommodation required for the training events are not included.
- Kilimanjaro Training Programme: Four months prior to departure Brian is going to send everyone his BKF Online Program which is ideal training for Kilimanjaro. The programme will be designed based on all of Brian’s endurance and fitness experience combined.
- Team Facebook Group: Brian would like to invite you to a private group where you can meet each other, share pics, share advice and get excited about this trip of a lifetime.
- Equipment for the Porters: We are asking you to bring any second-hand clothing that you no longer need for the hard-working porters that will help us climb Kilimanjaro. For more information about the porters and the items we are trying to collect please request an information pack.
- Tree planting: We are planting three native trees on your behalf in December 2021 in an effort to reduce your carbon footprint. If you would like to plant more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Each extra tree costs €1.
- Mountain Cleanup: We are bringing three litter pickers on the mountain with us. While walking you will have the option to help us gather rubbish which we will dispose of responsibly after the climb.
When signing up for the adventure you agree to share your contact information with both Earth’s Edge and Brian Keane so that you can be sent appropriate information about the trip and be invited to participate in the above activities.